Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Kimono Try-On

Between classes today, I went with most of the other students to a BCA organized, free kimono try-on activity. We went in two groups at different times (so my pictures will only have the people who were in my group) and even though I was in the first group we still ended up being 30 minutes late to my second class. We all took taxis to the kimono place which was across from Nakajima Park, wherever that is. The guys and girls went into separate rooms one or two at a time to be helped into their kimono which was a rather complicated process that involved several layers and several tightly wrapped clothes around the waist and stomach. The men's and women's kimono were pretty different. Men also got a foldable fan while the girls got their hair styled and decorated. Traditionally, you would wear socks with the big toe separated from the rest and spiffy sandals. We didn't have any socks like that so we just smooshed up our socks between the two toes. Also all the available sandals were a bit too small for us, but it worked out alright. Once we were all dressed, we took a bunch of pictures and returned the clothes for the next group. After that we just went back on the subway and went to that movie class where the rest of my class got to experience "Udon" and share in my confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment